Accommodation & Transportation
LICS 2013 will be held at Tulane University, in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Housing for participants at the MFPS-LICS-CSF conferences is available at the conference hotel, or at dorm rooms on the Tulane campus. Here is the information about how to make arrangements for each of these options:
Hotel rooms: The conference hotel is the Astor Crowne Plaza, 739 Canal St., New Orleans. The Astor is located on the corner of Canal St. and Bourbon St., at the edge of the French Quarter. Conference participants can obtain rooms at the Astor at the discounted rate of $119/night plus 13% tax, but this rate is available only for reservations made by May 20. Reservations made after that date will revert to the hotel's book rate, which is substantially higher. (Suites are also available, for $275/night + tax.)
- Online reservation: Please use this link to make a reservation online. To obtain the group rate be sure to use the group code IEE when making your online reservation.
- Phone reservation: Call the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel at +1 888-696-4806 and ask for the IEE group rate. Phone access is available from 8am until 8pm daily, and 8am to 4pm on weekends, Central Daylight Time.
You must make every effort to inform the Hotel in advance of any changes to your planned length of stay.
Dorm rooms: A limited number of dorm rooms are available on the Tulane campus during the conferences. The room rate is:
- Single occupancy (includes linens): $42 per night.
- Double occupancy (includes linens): $34 per night.
To New Orleans
The closest airport to the conference is the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (airport code: MSY). It is served by several major carriers, including AirTran, American, Delta, Continental, JetBlue, Northwest, Southwest, US Airways, and United.
- Airport shuttle: The Airport Shuttle service charges $20 each way from Louis Armstrong International Airport to either the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel or Tulane University. A round trip is $38. You can purchase tickets in advance by visiting the Airport Shuttle website or upon arrival at the baggage claim area. The Airport Shuttle van stops at the Tulane Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life.
- Taxi cab: A cab ride to and from the airport is $33 for 1 to 2 people, and $14 per person for 3 or more people.
- Other options: Information about additional transport options from the airport, including public transit, are available on the airport website.
Hotel to/from Conference
The St Charles Streetcar Line is one block away from the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel, at the corner of Canal St. and St. Charles Avenue. The streetcar runs right by the university; the trip takes 30-40 minutes. The conference venue is a 10 minute walk from the front of the campus where the streetcar stop is located. You can also share a taxi to the university - it takes about 15-20 minutes and costs $15-$20 for the cab. If you take a cab, ask the driver to take you to the Freret St. location of the university, which is a 5 minute walk from the conference venue.
Dorms to/from Conference
The university dorms are within a 5 minute walk from all of the venues for conference talks and breaks. There are social events planned at a local restaurant and at the Astor, which would require taking the streetcar or a taxi.